Re: iso-8859-1 and non-latin-1 chars

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: iso-8859-1 and non-latin-1 chars
Date: Mon, 11 Nov 2002 05:19:31 -0500

    > This user-visible change would affect much more than ispell.

    Huh?  Such as what?  I's very unusual to apply a coding-system to a piece of
    text that is not within the safe-chars of that coding-system.

Are Latin-2 characters within the safe-chars of iso-latin-1 now?  I
don't know how to tell, but I would expect that they are, since it can
encode them.  With this change, it won't be able to encode them,
and it will be unsafe in cases where now it is safe.

That is a user-visible change.  Perhaps it is a good change,
but I want to hear what people think of it.