Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Jan D.
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: Thu, 14 Nov 2002 18:49:50 +0100

    This isn't always the case.  Maybe the help texts should be
    reviewed and expanded/removed as a result?  For example,
    in Options we have:
      "Save Place in Files between Sessions"

    The tooltip for that is "Save Emacs state for next session".
    I think that the menu entry is much clearer hear, the tip is confusing.

I am surprised you think so.  I think they are both clear
and that they complement each other.

Well, this is just an example, but here are my reasoning.

The menu item has "between Sessions", implying this applies
   for all sessions to come.  The tip says "next Session", implying
   it is only for the next session.

The menu item has "Save Place in Files", the tip says "Save Emacs state".
   Neither is 100% correct, there is more that places saved, but
   less than the full Emacs state.  If this is for a beginner, I
   imagine (but could be wrong) that "Save Places" is easier to
   understand than "Save state", as stats can mean many things.

I think I would have written "Reopen files when Emacs is started".

The same for the other items in that menu--they are useful.  This menu
shows why menu item tooltips need to work.

I am not against tips, I just don't think showing them as today is
a good idea.  The "What's this?" approach seems workable.  Then we
could have even longer (multiline) tips.

    The tips appear in the wrong places (i.e. under the pointer)
sometimes. I don't have a Lucid version available, but in the Motif and Gtk version you can click and release on a menubar item to make the menu
    appear.  Then you can navigate the menus with arrow keys.  The
    tip displayed is for the menu item marked with the arrow keys, but
the tip appears where the pointer is. The pointer can be on the other side
    of the screen, so this looks funny.

That is indeed a bug; it would be good to fix it.

It is not that easy to get the information about where the selected
menu item is on the screen, so I think this is hard to do.  I'll keep it
in mind when I start on Gtk menu tips.

        Jan D.