Re: Gtk version getting closer

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Gtk version getting closer
Date: 20 Nov 2002 21:56:55 +0000

>     I just tried:
>
>       (setq tooltip-x-offset 40)
>       (setq tooltip-y-offset -40)
>
>     which moves the tips quite a distance.
>
> Would there be a better default value for these?

Gnome 1.4 positions its tooltips below the mouse pointer and centered,
everything else I have seen positions them below and to the right (the
start of the text is actually aligned with the LHS of the pointer in
sawfish, I can't check anything else right now). Only Emacs positions
tooltips above the mouse. I think below is less likely to be in the
way, since the pointer usually points upwards. So my suggestion would
be to default to

(setq tooltip-x-offset 0)
(setq tooltip-y-offset 40)