Re: Mac OS X: Rebuild Require after Security Update 2002-11-21

From: Andrew Choi
Subject: Re: Mac OS X: Rebuild Require after Security Update 2002-11-21
Date: Sun, 24 Nov 2002 12:58:19 -0700

Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:

> Andrew Choi <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > The 2002-11-21 Security Update seems to cause Emacs executables
> > built before the update to fail.  Rebuilding will make them work
> > again.  I realize this is an annoying problem.  But I must admit
> > currently I have no idea how to solve it.
>
> Do you use dynamic linking to system libraries on the Mac at all?
> This has caused problems between different versions of Windows before.

Thanks.  Yes, that's probably the cause.  Unfortunately dynamically
linked libraries are the only choice for using most of the "system
frameworks" on Mac OS X.  I'm currently trying to determine whether some
variables in the libraries are somehow unexec'ed along with the Emacs
heap.  Of course this will cause a problem if the new libraries change
the variables' locations.  There aren't many tools available to look
into this.  But I'll figure out a way sooner or later.