Re: TUTORIAL.bg and typo in TUTORIAL

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: TUTORIAL.bg and typo in TUTORIAL
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 08:13:14 +0200 (IST)

On Sun, 24 Nov 2002, Richard Stallman wrote:

>     > You shouldn't use a window-specific coding system for files in Emacs.
>     > Isn't there a standard coding system that works for Bulgarian?
>
>     I think cp1251 is that standard encoding.
>
> Really?  I thought that cp1251 was a Microsoft-specific
> encoding.  Isn't there some other standard for Cyrillic
> alphabets?

There is, more than one, actually.  We have KOI8 and ISO-8859-5, for
starters.

However, the de-facto standard for encoding Bulgarian text is another
matter.  AFAIR, cp1251 is it.  But since it's only my memory, and it had
failed me more than once, I will now shut up and let more knowledgeable
people to chime in.