Re: TODO additions

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: TODO additions
Date: Mon, 25 Nov 2002 07:36:17 -0500

    The question was about libc for Linux, not about Emacs on Debian.

I didn't realize that, but the answer is the same: maybe we
should put some of those patches into the standard version.

It's actually GNU libc for GNU/Linux.  Please don't call the whole
system "Linux", because that means giving someone else credit for our
work (including your work).

    >       It would help if all
    >     the macros which have an effect in the source were documented
    >     AC_DEFINE or AH_TEMPLATE doc strings in configure.in.
    >
    > The lists in configure.in would be painfully long,

    Just one line per option (unless the description is longer than a
    line).  That's surely no longer than the info would be if the
    template.h files had been kept up-to-date concerning all the flags.

I don't see why these macro definitions would be any shorter
if they were copied into configure.in.  They are long enough
that it is much better to keep them in separate files, as
they are now.

    > and we would want
    > to move them into separate files--which is where they are now.

    I don't know what you mean.  The information I'm talking about is just
    missing.

Precisely what information are you talking about, then?
I thought your proposal was to specify directly in
configure.in the values that are now specified in
the s/ and m/ files.

    > The inheritance chains of *.h files are often long.  Perhaps it would
    > simplify matters in some situations to eliminate some of the inheritance
    > by making some of the files self-contained.

    That would be better.

Would you like to propose specific files to change so that they
do not inherit?