Re: I miss ange-ftp (address@hidden)

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: I miss ange-ftp (address@hidden)
Date: Tue, 26 Nov 2002 08:34:41 +0100

Clay Jones <address@hidden> writes:

> I work in a development environment which does not support secure
> copying via any of tramp's protocols.  I also do not have decision
> making power for implementing these protocols.  I have the default
> setting for tramp set to ange-ftp "(setq tramp-default-method "ftp")"
> in my .emacs file, but I routinely receive errors like:
>
> Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, nil
>
> when trying to open/save files.  I've spent a lot of time just trying
> to get back to an environment where I can open and save files remotely
> via FTP.  Any suggestions?

Oh, boy, this is bad.  I got similar reports previously but didn't
spend too much time on them because I thought it's not Tramp at
fault.  But let me try to change this.

First of all, getting back to Ange-FTP involves setting
file-name-handler-alist to the right value.  The right line is still
in ange-ftp.el, only commented out.  So you want to remove the Tramp
entries from file-name-handler-alist and put in the Ange-FTP entries
instead.

Secondly, could you produce a backtrace (loading the *.el files
instead of the *.elc files to avoid bytecode)?  Maybe I can see this
time what's going wrong.

kai