Re: TODO additions

From: Francesco Potorti`
Subject: Re: TODO additions
Date: 27 Nov 2002 16:13:41 +0100

Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:
>It would also be worth discarding configurations for systems that
>you're confident aren't running now

Then I suggest dropping support for Motorola Delta 147.  It is sad,
because I wrote src/m/delta.h and that was my first work on Emacs :-(

But the box is very old now, and since the fastest processor on them
that I know of was a 25MHz Motorola 68040, I don't think that anyone
ever tried to compile and run Emacs 20 on them.  Emacs 19 was already a
really big program for that box.  In fact, the last Emacs version
reported to work is 19.26.

So I suggest removing src/m/delta.h and the following from etc/MACHINES:

================
Motorola Delta 147 (m68k-motorola-sysv)

  The EMacs 19.26 pretest was reported to work.

  Motorola Delta boxes running System V/68 release 3.
  Tested on 147 board with SVR3V7, no X and gcc.
  Tested on 167 board with SVR3V7, no X, cc, gnucc and gcc.
  Reports say it works with X too.

  The installation script chooses the compiler itself.  gnucc is
  preferred.
================

About the Delta 187, which had a Motorola risc processor named something
like 88010, I do not know if it is equally obsolete (never used one of
those boxes).  Here is the relative entry in etc/MACHINES:

Motorola Delta 187 (m88k-motorola-sysv,
                    m88k-motorola-sysvr4, or
                    m88k-motorola-m88kbcs)

  The 19.26 pretest was reported to run on SVR3.  However, if you
  use --with-x-toolkit on svr3, you will have problems compiling some
  files because time.h and sys/time.h get included twice.
  One fix is to edit those files to protect against multiple inclusion.

  As of version 19.13, Emacs was reported to run under SYSVr3 and SYSVr4.