Re: Status of shell-pcomplete integration?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Status of shell-pcomplete integration?
Date: Sun, 01 Dec 2002 16:47:59 +0100

Romain FRANCOISE <address@hidden> writes:

> is someone currently working on integrating pcomplete in Shell-mode?
> From the list archives, I see that support for pcomplete has been added
> in Feb. 2002 then removed in March, because it wasn't ready and didn't
> work right.
>
> If no progress has been made towards this goal since then (and a quick
> look through shell.el didn't seem to indicate there has), I think the
> entry in etc/NEWS that says that Shell-mode now supports programmable
> completion should be removed; it is misleading.

I would like to see pcomplete completion in shell mode.  IIRC, the
complaints were ones that could have been solved by frobbing the
pcomplete options appropriately.

It would be a pity to omit this feature because of such easily solved
problems.

Caveat: I don't _know_ what exactly were the problems.  I only
_believe_ it would have been easy to solve them.