Re: Hang in Emacs 21.3.50

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: Hang in Emacs 21.3.50
Date: Wed, 04 Dec 2002 16:31:22 +0530

On Sat, 30 Nov 2002 09:05:57 -0500, "Richard Stallman" <address@hidden>
said:
>      I have no clue and do not know how to debug a HANG using GDB.
>
> See etc/DEBUG for a lot of advice.  You can stop Emacs by typing
> C-z at the window where GDB is running.

  Did not work in W2k, the interrupt must be some other key (C-Brk killed
  the session!)
  I built Emacs using MSVC 6.0 and debugged.

> This is a bug in Dhruva's code, but it still seems wrong
> for Emacs to loop--it ought to report an error.  Can someone
> debug why it loops, and make it report a clean error?

 I did some further debugging using MSVC 6.0 debugger. I would like to
 report another scenerio which causes a similar HANG (infinite loop) in
 w32fns.c:w32_msg_pump()

1. I use Aspell (latest : 05.3-2 I guess)
2. When I do "M-x ispell-buffer", it goes to w32fns.c:w32_msg_pump() and
gets into an infinite loop (GetMessage())
3. The thread exits (presumably Aspell) with return value "1" (some error
I guess).

I feel the threads are getting into some sort of dead lock. In the Aspell
case, I am quite sure of it.

IMHO, this bug needs to be examined by a Win32 internal experts or
generally threads experts.

with best regards,
dhruva

PS:
Emacs is multi threaded. Am I right or am I missing something.

--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy