Re: PNG pictures have gamma correction twice applied

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: PNG pictures have gamma correction twice applied
Date: Fri, 6 Dec 2002 17:01:30 +0100

>       I _strongly_ stress that this
>     is _not_ the proper way to fix Emacs' lack of proper color handling
>     here and elsewhere.
>
> If someone wants to implement the proper way, that would be good--but
> since it is a big job, we cannot take for granted that someone will do
> it in the near future.  So it is better if we install this patch.
>
> Thanks for writing it.

Well, commenting out 4 lines of code is not that impressive a task...

By the way, it should be quite safe to install this in the 21.3
release branch (which will certainly not see a complete color
overhaul).  If you take a look at the screen shots at
<URL:http://preview-latex.sf.net>, you will notice the disconcerting
off-color effects that the unpatched Emacs produces (the linguist
screen shots) when not working with fully saturated colors.

If Emacs is devastatingly slow on images and gets terminal palette
starvation in no time at all on paletted display, at least the static
views of non-paletted displays will look nice in screen shots.

People will be glad about the improvement they get, not knowing what
they should rather be getting...