Re: address@hidden: groff version 1.18.1 and emacs]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: address@hidden: groff version 1.18.1 and emacs]
Date: Sat, 07 Dec 2002 21:59:34 +0300

> From: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 06 Dec 2002 23:26:27 +0100 (CET)
>
> I decided to make SGR the default output format of
> groff's TTY output device starting with groff version 1.18 about six
> months ago.  Not all tools understand SGR yet, so it will take some
> time until everything has been updated.

And if you remember, I've warned you back then that breakage of the
kind we see with man.el will surely happen if the SGR is going to be
the default output format without giving some time to the related
packages to catch up.  So far, only Less and Texinfo's Info reader can
handle the SGR sequences produced by Groff.

> Setting this environment
> variable will always work regardless of the used version of man or
> groff, so I think this is the easiest workaround within Emacs.

I'd rather suggest to release a Groff where SGR is turned off by
default.