Re: GTK patches part 1

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: GTK patches part 1
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 08:20:57 -0500

On Mon, Dec 09, 2002 at 01:44:03PM +0100, Jan D. wrote:
> I don't understand why HAVE_GTK needs to be in config.in.  Can you
> explain?

Because autoconf will never insert a define itself (into config.h), it needs
a template to modify, which in the case of emacs is src/config.in.  Surely
you needed to do this yourself, to compile anything!

> Spoiled by GCC 3 and years of C++.  I'll switch to GCC 2.95 for Emacs.

I assume that gcc 3.x has an option to only accept older versions of C.

> >  (4) It looks like the user has to give the `--with-gtk' option to
> >      configure to enable GTK.  I think using `--with-x-toolkit=gtk'
> >      would be more correct, at least from a user's perspective.
>
> I just selected what other GTK programs seems to use.  In theory GTK
> can run on other platforms than X (not this port though), But I can switch
> (or have both?) if thats desired.

Well, if it's some sort of standard, then I suppose you could support both.

--with-x-toolkit is better though, because it makes explicit the fact that
GTK and the other supported toolkits are mutually exclusive.  Perhaps the
programs you're thinking of can only use one GUI toolkit, which is enabled
using --with-gtk?

-Miles

--
`...the Soviet Union was sliding in to an economic collapse so comprehensive
 that in the end its factories produced not goods but bads: finished products