Re: address@hidden: groff version 1.18.1 and emacs]

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: address@hidden: groff version 1.18.1 and emacs]
Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 22:16:05 +0300

> Date: Mon, 09 Dec 2002 08:17:05 +0100 (CET)
> From: Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden>
>
> Emacs already has code for that (written by Eli mainly for his DOS
> port).

I'm not sure what you mean here: I didn't write anything like what
you say.  The DOS port of Emacs does not translate SGR sequences to
colors, it simply has special code (in msdos.c) to turn on and off
colors given face information in `struct glyph'.  The way it turns
colors on and off is specific to DOS and utilizes direct access to
the video memory of the terminal.

Another related piece of code with which I was involved is in the
stand-alone Info reader (the one which comes with the Texinfo
package).  That one works on all supported platforms (not only on
DOS), but all it does is either (1) strip all SGR escapes, so that the
man page is displayed without any colors, or (2) under the -R
command-line option, pass the SGRs unaltered to the pager under the
assumption that the pager will DTRT (latest releases of Less can do
that).