Re: movemail re-write [was Re: TODO additions]

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: movemail re-write [was Re: TODO additions]
Date: 10 Dec 2002 23:42:52 +0000

>     I can supply someone willing to do the work with a diff that's all
>     Sperber's work, and thus assigned.  It's between _old versions_ of the
>     _XEmacs_ source, though.
>
> I guess that would do for a start.  However, Rob Browning
> <address@hidden> says he has code that he himself wrote
> to do the job.  Starting with that should be easier.

I hope so, if someone can get hold of it and check that it does the
same things as Sperber's (with the same interface).  It's a pity stuff
like this from Debian doesn't actually get contributed; one has to go
looking.

>       The idea is to specify a lock method
>     that the system can support via environment variable EMACSLOCKMETHOD
>     or a flag.  E.g. on Debian with the binary from the XEmacs package:
>
> That seems ok.  It doesn't by itself solve the problem of how to
> make the right thing happen on Debian, though.  Does Debian define
> this variable by default?

No.  The default is (I assume) correct on Debian, as chosen by
configure.  I thought I showed the help from movemail initially:

Usage: movemail [-rvxkh] [-l lines ] [-m method ] [-i] inbox [-o] destfile
[[-p] POP-password]
where method is one of: dot, lockf, flock
Default is: flock