Re: gdba probs

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: gdba probs
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 23:14:14 +0000

Stefan Monnier writes:
 > > I don't know exactly what happens if gdba starts without "--annotate=2" but
 > > the annotations are needed to tell it the status of the prgram.
 > > "--fullname"
 > > just gives line information for display of the source.
 >
 > I understand that.  But the `M-x gdb' subset of `M-x gdba' should still
 > work if you pass `-fullname'.  The rest of course won't, but that's OK:
 > you get what you asked for.

If by `should work' you mean `should be made to work' then that would be nice.
If you mean `should currently work' then I don't see that. `M-x gdb' uses
gud-gdb-marker-filter while `M-x gdba' uses gdba-marker-filter (or more
precisely gdb-output-burst) to process the output from GDB. gdb-output-burst
is really the heart of gdb-ui.el.

If you want one command to to work in both cases you really need to set
gud-marker-filter appropriately to either gud-gdb-marker-filter or
gdba-marker-filter before sending *any* commands to GDB. Perhaps this could be
done by parsing options given to GDB. I notice that `M-x gdb' works without
`-fullname' (in the GUD buffer like in an xterm) so perhaps there would be
just two cases : "-annotate=2" and not "-annotate=2".

Or perhaps I'm just talking rubbish.

Nick