Re: Key sequence C-c C-f C-e uses invalid prefix characters

From: Galen Boyer
Subject: Re: Key sequence C-c C-f C-e uses invalid prefix characters
Date: 11 Dec 2002 19:08:55 -0800

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, address@hidden wrote:
>     AFAIK (21.2), define-key still isn't able to rebind an existing
>     prefix key; at least I failed to load psgml when sgml-mode coming
>     with Emacs was loaded first (the problem was brought to my
>     attention by Martin Vidner, thanks!).
>
> If there is really a bug here, please supply a *precise test case*
> so we can move from mere discussion to productive debugging.

Make this your only entries in your .emacs (Modify the path so Emacs can
find your psgml.el)

    (require 'sgml-mode)
    (load-file "c:/emacs/site-lisp/packages/xae/psgml/psgml.el")

Now, try to start Emacs.  You should recieve something similar to the
following message.

    (C:\emacs\emacs-21.1\bin\emacs.exe)

    An error has occurred while loading `c:/emacs/home/.emacs':

    error: "Key sequence C-c C-f C-e uses invalid prefix characters"

    To ensure normal operation, you should investigate the cause
    of the error in your initialization file and remove it.  Start
    Emacs with the `--debug-init' option to view a complete error
    backtrace

The problem is caused precisely because:

sqml-mode sets part of sgml-mode-map with
    (define-key map "\C-c\C-f" 'sgml-skip-tag-forward)

psgml-mode sets part of sgml-mode-map with
    (define-key sgml-mode-map "\C-c\C-f\C-e" 'sgml-fold-element)
    (define-key sgml-mode-map "\C-c\C-f\C-r" 'sgml-fold-region)
    (define-key sgml-mode-map "\C-c\C-f\C-s" 'sgml-fold-subelement)
    (define-key sgml-mode-map "\C-c\C-f\C-x" 'sgml-expand-element)

These clash.

--
Galen deForest Boyer