Re: Minor problem in "Apropos" - 21.2.93

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: Minor problem in "Apropos" - 21.2.93
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:20:18 +0530

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 12:44:32 -0500, "Richard Stallman" <address@hidden>
said:
>      I looked in the the file "lisp/help.el". In place of using
>      "exec-directory", we should be using "invocation-directory".
>
> Using exec-directory looks correct to me; the fns... file is supposed
> to be in that directory.  If it is not present there for you,
> I think that is the bug.  Can you investigate why it was not
> installed there?
>
> I am pretty sure invocation-directory is not correct,
> because that is nil for an installed Emacs.  And for an
> uninstalled Emacs, it is the src directory, which is the
> wrong place for fns-...

The fns-VERSION.el is getting installed in the correct folder where the
emacs.exe resides (NO BUG).
The problem is, if environment variable EMACSPATH is set to some other
folder or list of folders as in PATH variable, "exec-directory" has the
first entry from EMACSPATH.

Ex:
Case where I have GNU Emacs installed under D:/GNU/emacs and have
"gnuserv.exe" and other binaries in
"D:/GNU/bin":

cmd>set EMACSPATH=D:/GNU/bin;D:/GNU/emacs/bin
cmd>emacs
In Emacs session, the value of "exec-directory" is "D:/GNU/bin" but Emacs
executable is in "D:/GNU/emacs/bin"
and "fns-VERSION.el" file is also in "D:/GNU/emacs/bin" folder.
The value of "invocation-directory" is "D:/GNU/emacs/bin" which is
correct.

The same behavior is shown in uninstalled Emacs exe too found in
"emacs-21.2.93/bin/emacs.exe" after build.

>From my understanding "invocation-directory" is got from parsing argv[0]

with best regards,
dhruva
--