Re: specific coloring of diary calendar entries

From: Ami Fischman
Subject: Re: specific coloring of diary calendar entries
Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 10:24:53 -0800

[missive contains replies to Alan Shutko, Ed Reingold; quotes are
attributed by initials]

Alan Shutko <address@hidden> writes:

AS> First, some general comments.  Your diff is reversed.  Next time,

Doh!  Sorry :)

AS> Second, those files have changes a bit since the version you're

True.  For some reason I was under the impression that the calendar mode
was frozen for a long time.  Not sure why I thought that.

AS> specification of colors for sexp diary entries (currently, only in the
AS> calendar display), and font-lock has been enabled.

Perty!

AS> The way the sexp entry coloration works is that you specify a face in
AS> the sexp.  This lets you specify not only foreground color, but also
AS> slants, under or overline, inverse video, background, etc.

Interesting.  I don't like this approach, because it forces the user of
calendar mode to define faces himself.  I know that for me, at least, it is
much more useful to just say "[color:green]" than to create a face dedicated
to having a green fg.  My new patches keep my approach (of just specifying a
fg color), but still use the sexp face marking if it is specified by the
user.

AS> You added arguments to a number of functions, but you didn't change
AS> other files that use them.

Guilty as charged.  Meant to make the args &optional, but apparently
forgot.  Fixed now.

AS> I don't think it's very helpful to have the file glob color in the
AS> diary-entries-list.

Hmm.  The reason I did it as I did, was that I wanted to keep a notion of
which file an entry came from.  I agree that re-parsing for the colors is
silly, so made the change you suggest.

AS> I'd disagree that sexps are necessarily less important than regular
AS> entries, btw.  If you don't see your anniversary on the calendar because
AS> the color to pick your kid up after school overrode it, you're in for
AS> a heap of trouble....

I disagree.  An irritated spouse is much better than a kid stranded for
8 hours after school ;)  I refer you to one of the early episodes of
_Malcolm in the Middle_ for proof.
However, even if I wanted to change this, I don't think it would be an easy
change to make.  sexp's get parsed for completely separately from
non-sexp's, so it would require a priority system that I just don't think
is worth it.

Then Ed Reingold <address@hidden> wrote:

ER> I like the idea, but the characters used to set off the colors (square
ER> brackets and the colon) should be user-definable, just like the non-marking
ER> symbol, sexp-expression symbol, etc.  I often use square brackets and colons
ER> in my diary entries!

Good point.  Added defcustoms for diary-color-regexp and
diary-glob-file-color-regexp.

One other feature I added (at the request of Kai Grossjohann) is the
prefixing of diary entries with the filename from which they came.  This is
controlled by the defcustom diary-file-name-prefix which defaults to nil
since I don't like it :)

Please check out the attached patches (against current CVS, and in the
right order this time :)) and let me know of any comments, suggestions,
questions, or flames.

Cheers,
--
  Ami Fischman