Re: old ChangeLog files

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: old ChangeLog files
Date: 13 Dec 2002 12:45:14 +0100

> > From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
> > Date: Thu, 12 Dec 2002 09:30:49 -0500
> >
> > Ideally this should also be merged into `ChangeLog' itself, but
> > CVS performs poorly with large locally-modified files, so
> > it's more convenient to keep a "small" ChangeLog file and move
> > older stuff into ChangeLog.old.
> >
> > What do people think ?
>
> It sounds like a good idea, but won't that cause ChangeLog.old to
> grow indefinitely (assuming that Emacs is going to be maintained for
> many years to come ;-)?
>
> If the file becomes too large, it might become difficult to browse it
> with e.g. Less or even Emacs itself.

IMO, it would be simpler to provide key bindings in Changelog mode
that automatically takes you to the previous older / next newer
changelog file in a series of ChangeLog files.

Maybe we could even have PgUp/PgDn doing this automatically at the
top/bottom of the current changelog file.

A similar thing could be done for NEWS files...