Re: Emacs 21.2.93 - NFS issue

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.2.93 - NFS issue
Date: Fri, 13 Dec 2002 10:45:40 -0500

> Hello,
>
> On Thu, 12 Dec 2002 12:08:26 -0500, "Richard Stallman" <address@hidden>
> said:
> > Would you please propose a diff to etc/PROBLEMS?
>
> I am not sure as to how to generate a diff for patch to use. I have used
> the following command and option to get the diff.
>
> command used:diff.exe -c PROBLEMS PROBLEMS.new
>
> *** PROBLEMS    Wed Dec  4 18:08:23 2002
> --- PROBLEMS.new        Fri Dec 13 09:36:14 2002
> ***************
> *** 541,548 ****
>
>       emacs: ASCII text, with no line terminators
>
> ! We don't know what exactly causes this failure.  A work-around is to
> ! build Emacs in a directory on a local disk.
>
>   * Accented ISO-8859-1 characters are displayed as | or _.
>
> --- 541,550 ----
>
>       emacs: ASCII text, with no line terminators
>
> ! However, reports of successfull builds on W2K built in a directory mounted
> ! via NFS have been reported. Since there has not been extensive testing,
> ! we don't know what exactly causes this failure or a fix. A safe work-around
> ! is to build Emacs in a directory on a local disk.

I think the problem is rather with the fact that

   This was reported to happen when Emacs is built in a directory mounted
   via NFS.  Usually, the file `emacs' produced in these cases is full of

doesn't make it clear that NFS is a necessary but not a sufficient
cause.  I.e. it only showed up for some NFS clients (and maybe it
even depended on the NFS server as well).  IIRC it also only happened
when unexec was using mmap and I remember discussions to change it back
to using something else, so maybe the problem has completely disappeared ?

        Stefan