Re: iso-8859-1 and non-latin-1 chars

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: iso-8859-1 and non-latin-1 chars
Date: Sat, 14 Dec 2002 13:31:54 -0500

    Notes on the change:

    (1) I made a new variable coding-system-require-warning, and
    universal-coding-system-argument binds it to t.

    (2) If car of the arg DEFAULT-CODING-SYSTEM is t, it
    indicates that select-safe-coding-system should not include
    buffer-file-coding-system and most preferred coding system
    in a list of coding systems tried by default.
    Fwrite_region calls select-safe-coding-system in this way if
    coding-system-require-warning is non-nil.

    (3) Now a user can specify any coding system in
    select-safe-coding-system on his risk.  At least, this is
    necessary when an unsafe coding sysetm is specified by C-x
    RET c.

I didn't have time to read the code (sorry), but that sounds ok to me.