Re: TODO additions

From: Dave Love
Subject: Re: TODO additions
Date: 15 Dec 2002 17:23:12 +0000

>     > I will ask rlb if he can recommend changes to make movemail do the
>     > right kind of mail locking on Debian GNU/Linux.
>
>     As I tried to explain, that is a necessary change to the current build
>     if mail is delivered by a Debian system, but not a sufficient change
>     to movemail if mail is delivered to the spool by a non-Debian system.
>
> I can see too many possible meanings for this.
>
> Have you looked at rlb's code?

I've only seen the changes in the latest diffs for the Debian package,
not what you said is supposed to do the same thing as sperber's
version.

> Are you saying it DOES have a
> shortcoming compared with the XEmacs code?

The version in the latest debian package has such a shortcoming.

> Or are you speculating about it based on my description?  (My
> description is NOT accurate enough to be useful for that.)

I was only commenting on what you wrote above.  Mail isn't always
delivered by the same sort of system on which you read it.  That's
especially so with a site-wide spool.  It looks as though the
mechanism in Debian has even been changing, so an older system doing
the delivery may not be consistent with a new client.