Re: Minor problem in "Apropos" - 21.2.93

From: Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Subject: Re: Minor problem in "Apropos" - 21.2.93
Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2002 12:48:48 +0530

On Mon, 16 Dec 2002 15:04:41 +0100, "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden>
said:
> On Sun, 15 Dec 2002 18:39:49 -0500, Richard Stallman <address@hidden> wrote:
>
> > Someone who works on Emacs for Windows should figure out why this file
> > is not in the place which exec-directory points to, and fix things so
> > that the file is there.
>
> In the prebuilt binaries, fns-21.2.9X-1.el is in bin/ and exec-directory
> points to that directory. In my MSVC 6.0 builds it's also correct.
> OTOH, I always build in the source tree; I don't use --prefix.
>
> In which case does exec-directory point to a directory other than bin/?
> It is perhaps related to using --prefix?
>
>                                                            /L/e/k/t/u

The problem is when environment variable "EMACSPATH" is set to something
other than where the emacs.exe resides.
The variable "exec-directory" is set using "EMACSPATH" env variable and
not argv[0]. Hence, it is very easy to confuse by setting "EMACSPATH" to
a wrong location.
In my case:
Emacs is installed in "D:/GNU/emacs"
EMACSPATH="D:/GNU/bin;D:/GNU/emacs/bin"
Hence, "exec-directory" was "D:/GNU/bin"

-dhruva
--
Dhruva Krishnamurthy
Home: http://www.geocities.com/gnued/