Re: buff-menu.el changes

From: Robert J. Chassell
Subject: Re: buff-menu.el changes
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:40:01 +0000 (UTC)

   Changes were made in    lisp/buff-menu.el

I lack the time to change buff-menu.el, except for changing the
default widths for Buffer-menu-buffer+size-width and
Buffer-menu-mode-width, which I have done.

As for the others:

     * First, when Buffer-menu-use-header-line is nil it is impossible
       to move to the next line using the next-line (C-n) command when
       point is on the `C' of CRM....

This is the result of a bug in handling intangible text.  Miles Bader
<address@hidden> has produced a good, short test-case.

I don't know how to handle intangible text.  Please someone fix this!
The bug effects more than the `list-buffers' command.

     * Second, the addition of the `C' to the existing `RM' is consistent
       logically, ....   [but] The new heading format with the
       `C' is hard coded into list-buffers-noselect.

A new variable is needed, `Buffer-menu-header-first-line', so people
can change this.  (The variable need not be customizeable; only a few
people will want to make the change.)  Then, from this, a function
should create `Buffer-menu-header-second-line' based on the lengths of
the elements of the first line.  One problem will be that the
`Buffer-menu-buffer+size' function needs to be called every time that
the `list-buffers-noselect' function is called.  I think the best way
to go is to rewrite `Buffer-menu-buffer+size'.

     * Third, the default width for Buffer-menu-buffer+size-width is 21,
       but I find that 24 makes a better default.

I have changed these defaults.

     * Fourth, when Buffer-menu-use-header-line is t, the `CRM'
       characters in the header line do not line up above their
       respective `Current', `Read-only', and `Modified' columns.

I think you forgot to include the left hand fringe width and assumed a
value for the scroll-bar-width which does not apply to all instances
of Emacs started as:

    emacs -q --no-site-file --eval '(blink-cursor-mode 0)'

(Perhaps screen resolution has something to do with it.  My
high-quality screen has a resolution of 135 pixels per inch; my other
monitors have a resolution of 72 pixels per inch.)

You can determine the left hand fringe width in pixels with the
expression:

   (frame-parameter nil 'left-fringe)

(I think.)  You will need to convert this to column-widths, assuming
that `list-buffers' sticks to fixed width fonts.  I think I have seen
a way to make this conversion but cannot remember where.

At the same time, you need to compute the actual scroll-bar-width.
Even when I turn off fringes in my plain vanilla Emacs, the header
line is not above the text as it should be.  I don't know how to handle
scroll-bar-width.

Best wishes.

    http://www.teak.cc                             address@hidden