Re: Emacs 21.2 align.el - Perl hash element alignment bug

From: John Wiegley
Subject: Re: Emacs 21.2 align.el - Perl hash element alignment bug
Date: Mon, 23 Dec 2002 14:54:17 -0700

> It should be smarter and align according to "=>". I studied the
> code, but I do not undertand the syntax rules used there enough to
> make any suggestions.

Align is not smart enough to maintain "state", and thus make
intelligent decisions about alignment priority, or what should and
what shouldn't be aligned.  These are just line-by-line regexps,
after all.

In cases like this where is definite confusion, you, the human, will
have to step in.  Simply type M-x align-regexp on the region, and
then type "=>".  This will do exactly what you want.

John