Re: iso-8859-1 and non-latin-1 chars

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: iso-8859-1 and non-latin-1 chars
Date: Wed, 25 Dec 2002 22:05:29 +0900 (JST)

In article <address@hidden>, Dave Love <address@hidden> writes:
> Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:
>>  I don't think the program `ispell' itself should be fixed.

> I meant ispell.el, though it is unfortunate that we don't have a
> spelling program that deals with multibyte encodings as far as I know.

Sure.  Though, I see this mail in linux-utf8 mailing list.

On Wed Feb  6 16:18:23 2002 +0300 Maxim N. Bychkov wrote:
>>Good day.
>>
>>Could anybody explain me how to use unicode symbols in Ispell?
>>
>>Thank you in advance.
>>

>AFAIK you can't.  But some ispell dictionaries, like
>esperanto, have a hack for command line -Tutf8 option to
>spellcheck UTF-8 text.

>>  But, ispell.el should be made more robust.  When it finds an
>>  unencodable character in a word, perhaps, it should show the
>>  word as a misspelled word to a user instead of sending it to
>>  the ispell program.

> Yes, that's what I've implemented for flyspell.  The problem is that
> ispell.el sends a whole line to the subprocess (unlike flyspell).
> Also it doesn't use the Emacs syntax table to decide what's a word.

But, I think it's not that difficult to fix this behaviour
so that it breaks a line at an unencodable word.

>>  Then BBDB should call select-safe-coding-system before
>>  siliently using a specified coding system.

> No, it should use a general coding system to store all
> text.

If that is possible (i.e. users allows that), yes.   But,
why calling select-safe-coding-system is not good?

> I implemented that, but people have used inappropriate
> values (either by setting the relevant variable or via
> `file-coding-system-alist') and there could be problems in
> the transition to the new version.

Those people should have already encountered a problem as I
wrote before because they can't decode a text back with the
same coding system.

By the way, the function choose_write_coding_system ()
checks a coding system specified in file-coding-system-alist
by select-safe-coding-system.

---
Ken'ichi HANDA
address@hidden