Re: desktop and tilde-expand-file-name

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: desktop and tilde-expand-file-name
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2002 12:45:08 +0100

Lars Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> 1. How do I do? I have not participated in Emacs development before,
>    and I don't have CVS.

I think CVS is necessary.  It's not that difficult to use.
Basically, you go to the Emacs project page on Savannah, then you
click on CVS and this explains read-only anon-cvs access.

Once you have a working directory according to the instructions
there, `cd' into it and do `cvs update -dP' to fetch the most recent
changes from the server.  Do `cvs diff -u' (or `cvs diff -c'
depending on taste) to get the difference between your changed
version and the server.

After `cvs update -dP', you might get `conflicts'.  Look at the
corresponding files for `===' -- you will easily see the conflict
markers.  Merge the two versions in a way that seems sensible and
remove the conflict markers.

> 2. For use in the desktop module, I need a function
>    `tilde-expand-file-name' that should work like `expand-file-name'
>    except that path is specified from "~" rather than from root when
>    that is possible.

Maybe abbreviate-file-name is what you are looking for?
--
Ambibibentists unite!