Mac OS X - Option key as meta and dead keys

From: Enrico Franconi
Subject: Mac OS X - Option key as meta and dead keys
Date: Thu, 2 Jan 2003 07:45:25 +0000

I've always used the command key as meta, so I never noticed the
following strange behaviour when the option key is set as meta.

Suppose I want to type meta-e (sentence-end) by using the option key
as meta, that is with mac-command-key-is-meta set to nil. I need to
type option-e twice, since option-e is a dead key in MacOS, so the
first use of it does not do anything. In general, it appears that
whenever option-<something> is a dead key combination, there is the
need to type the option-<something> twice.

Note that if I use emacs -nw from Terminal (with the Terminal setting
'use option as meta'), then option-<something> works perfectly as
expected, i.e., it is never the case that option-<something> is a dead
key.

cheers
-- e.