Re: Toolbar problems with GDB mode.

From: Nick Roberts
Subject: Re: Toolbar problems with GDB mode.
Date: Sat, 4 Jan 2003 19:54:07 +0000

 > Okay, but it is also the one thing i dislike with DDD for example.
 > In embedded development, one does not even have a main.  DDD then
 > loads a random file, which is annoying as it takes time.

Do you use emacs for embedded development ? If so, could you please tell me
what gdba does ?

 > I frequently do like this:
 > Go to line in file where I would like to break
 > C-x 2
 > start gdb in the upper window.
 > C-x 0 C-x C-v C-a
 >
 > The last line is like one gesture, and gdba breaks that for me.

I guess you mean C-x 0 C-x C-a C-b, but I get what you're saying. I had not
thought about that approach.

 > I don't think it is a good idea to switch and hide file buffer a user
 > is looking at.

Yes but sometimes, as they say, it best to start at the beginning.

 > Isn't that the reason why for example compile
 > splits the frame in two windows, to keep the file the user is editing
 > in sight?

And presumably it would be a good idea for M-x gdb to do this also. Then
you wouldn't have to split the window. I will make this change if others
think it is a good idea.

 > The GDB default is 24 lines, and I had no terminfo entry for dumb,
 > hence GDB uses 24.  Adding a terminfo solves that.  But if gdba
 > requires a specific height, can it not do that as the first command
 > to GDB by itself?  Just a thought.

I will do this. I hadn't realised there was a problem before.

 > Another thing you should look at is starting gdba, stopping GDB
 > and killing the buffer, then starting gdba again.  It does funny
 > things, ...

Please don't simply kill the buffer. Always type gdb-quit before starting a new
session. I'm writing documentation to say things like that and I will try to
make it more robust with time.

Nick