Re: expressions

From: Bob Halley
Subject: Re: expressions
Date: 05 Jan 2003 11:55:49 -0800

> This is a useful feature.  I have a security question for the people
> on emacs-devel who support non-GNU-like platforms.  server.el sets up
> mode 0700 for the socket.  Is that sufficient security, on all
> platforms, to make it safe to install this feature?

No, it is not safe.  On Solaris, at least as recent as Solaris 8, the
file permissions on UNIX domain sockets are totally ignored.  This may
be true on other platforms as well, though many platforms "do the
right thing" and check file permissions.

The standard way of dealing with this portably is to create a
directory for the socket filename to live in, and control access via
permissions on the directory.

/Bob