More keysyms on MacOSX/Aqua

From: Benjamin Riefenstahl
Subject: More keysyms on MacOSX/Aqua
Date: 06 Jan 2003 12:19:46 +0100

Hi all,

On MacOSX/Aqua, I was missing the ability to bind <s-escape>.  The
reason was that the escape key sends the ASCII ESC instead of the
keysym <escape>, and ASCII keys can not be combined with the shift key
(there is an exception for SPC in src/keyboard.c, make_lispy_event()).

The attached patch adds generation of keysyms for <tab>, <backspace>
and <escape>.  The current keysym converter does not allow to encode
<space> (and space already has that special exception anyway), so I
left that alone.

I also added some entries in function-key-map for these keys, copied
from the X11 and MS Windows files.  Is there a reason why these
mappings are not in a platform-independent file?  They are not used on
a character terminal but they don't pose a problem there either.  OTOH
they are currently maintained in three separate places for the GUI
systems.

Thirdly I cleaned up the table keycode_to_xkeysym_table a bit and
added more comments.  I can send a patch without that change if you
prefer that.

Finally it would be possible to extend the mentioned SPC exception in
make_lispy_event() to other ASCII special keys, that would achive a
similar effect, although it wouldn't be as portable.

ChangeLog:

2002-12-15  Benjamin Riefenstahl  <address@hidden>

        * src/macterm.c (keycode_to_xkeysym_table): Add <tab>,
        <backspace>, <escape>.
        (keycode_to_xkeysym_table): Reformat and add more comments.
        (XTread_socket): Drop special case for backspace.

        * lisp/term/mac-win.el: Add entries in function-key-map for
        [tab], [backspace], [escape].

so long, benny