Re: expressions

From: chad
Subject: Re: expressions
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 15:06:04 -0500

Bob Halley <address@hidden> wrote:

> > Maybe we should create a directory "~/.esrv" (if it doesn't exist),
> > check that it is owned by the current user (fail to start server if
> > not), make it 700, and then create the server socket (e.g. named
> > `server') in that directory.
>
> This sounds like a good idea to me, though I'd keep the filename
> something like server-<hostname>, in case the user shares their home
> directory over NFS (or some other network filesystem).

I would expect that the reason /tmp was chosen was the inability of some
systems to create sockets in NFS/AFS/SFS/Coda/whatever remote filesystem
that the suer might be using for $HOME.  I suspect that this might still
be a problem.  The ssh/openssh technique involves creating a directory
in $TMPDIR named ssh-$unique (with other refinements that I think do not
apply).  Perhaps this would be a safer strategy?

chad