Re: expressions

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: expressions
Date: Mon, 06 Jan 2003 12:13:22 -0500

    The standard way of dealing with this portably is to create a
    directory for the socket filename to live in, and control access via
    permissions on the directory.

We could change both server.el and emacsclient to do this, I guess.
It would be an incompatible change, and some users who try to use
an older emacsclient with a newer Emacs would lose.

We could change emacsclient to try the new method first and then
try the old method.  Then it would work with old Emacs versions.
Is there a way to make server.el support both methods?

    Currently, server.el places the socket in /tmp/esrv<UID>-<HOST>

This way, different user names with the same UID can interoperate.

    I've always wondered why the socket wasn't placed in $HOME.

That way, they could not interoperate.

The technique of making a directory to regulate access can be used
under /tmp, I guess.  Would these directories in /tmp get cleared out
when /tmp is cleared?  If not, that would be a problem.