Re: Local interface used for outbound network connections

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Local interface used for outbound network connections
Date: 08 Jan 2003 12:50:20 +0100

Mario Lang <address@hidden> writes:

> For IRC DCC connection, we need a reliable way to optain the IP
> address we're reachable via.  Normally, IRC clients do this by calling
> getsockname on the connection they have to the IRC server.  This
> returns the interface used + port number.

I definitely intended make-network-process to make this info
available, but I forgot to implement it.  Thanks for reminding me :-)

I have just committed the following changes to CVS:

make-network-process now stores the local network address in the
:local property for client processes (i.e. outbound connections).
It does so for all types of connections.

The :local property is the proper place for this, and I don't see why
it wouldn't work (although you said it doesn't).  If you need to
differentiate between client and server processes, look at the
process-status.

I also fixed a bug which meant that the :local property was not setup
correctly for new "slave" processes created when a server process
accepted a new connection.