Re: snarf up text when at query-replace from: prompt

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: snarf up text when at query-replace from: prompt
Date: Thu, 09 Jan 2003 02:28:32 -0500

    well actually lets talk about C-s.  If one hit C-s C-h, wouldn't it be
    neat if it were like when one hit C-h k C-s?  At least give some hints
    in the minibuffer about goodies like:

    Type C-s to search again forward, C-r to search again backward.
    Type C-w to yank word from buffer onto end of search string and search for
it.
    Type C-y to yank rest of line onto end of search string and search for it.
    Type M-y to yank last killed text onto end of search string and search for
it.
    etc.

Such a feature was implemented, but I turned it off.

    ;; Turned off because I find I expect to get the global definition--rms.
    ;; ;; Instead bind C-h to special help command for isearch-mode.
    ;; (define-key map "\C-h" 'isearch-mode-help)

I think I found it inconvenient because I would type C-h expecting it
to exit the search and do its usual job.  However, if this feature is
significantly good for beginners, maybe we should turn it on again,
and I can turn it of in my .emacs file.

Does anyone else have an opinion?