Re: skeleton.el machinery eats newlines.

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: skeleton.el machinery eats newlines.
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 00:24:48 -0600 (CST)

I am not sure any more that the third indentation "bug" I referred to
in my previous posting is not merely a product of my imagination.
Putting a buffer in sh-mode for bash and answering aa to all
minibuffer questions yields:

Current CVS:

case aa in
    aa)

    ;;
    aa)

    ;;aa)

    ;;aa)

    ;;aa)

        ;;*)

esac

With my current patch:

case aa in
    aa)

    ;;
    aa)

    ;;
    aa)

    ;;
    aa)

    ;;
    *)

esac

In Emacs20.7:

case aa in
    aa)

        ;;
    aa)

        ;;
    aa)

        ;;
    aa)

        ;;
    *)

esac

It seems to me that the "shift to the right" of the ;; between
Emacs20.7 and Emacs21 was a deliberate change and not an inadvertent
bug.  I am not an expert in shell indentation.  I am not used to worry
a lot about indentation because I use Emacs and I tend to just use
whichever indentation style Emacs uses.  Some of the shell scripts in
the bash2.05b sources seem closer to the Emacs21 style than the
Emacs20.7 indentation.

I hope that I am not inadvertently starting an ideological "Indentation
War" here.

Sincerely,

Luc.