Re: GTK documentation in Emacs

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: GTK documentation in Emacs
Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 20:27:37 -0500

On Fri, Jan 10, 2003 at 06:20:49PM +0100, Jan D. wrote:
> > Here's a patch that makes some minor clarifications, corrections, and
> > formatting changes to what you did:
>
> Thanks, I applied it, except for the @itemize parts.  I think it is
> easier to find what to write in lists like this than in running text.

The problem is that in info they look really ugly (mostly because it
inserts a newline between each entry in the list, so it ends up looking
really tall, skinny, and `sparse' [and taking up lots of screen
real-estate]).  Since these particular lists are `intuitive' -- that is
they consist of many related words arranged in an obvious order -- I
think there's less need for distinguishing each individual entry than if
they were lists of unrelated items.

Despite the above reasoning, I wasn't quite sure either which was the
best way, so I looked at other places in the emacs manual that use
similar lists -- in particular the description of faces (which in fact
have almost exactly the same lists, like bold, ultra-bold, etc.) -- and
they use in-text lists.  So that's why I made that change: when in
doubt, be consistent... :o)

-Miles