Re: [Psgml-devel] Re: Key sequence C-c C-f C-e uses invalid prefix chara

From: Peter Flynn
Subject: Re: [Psgml-devel] Re: Key sequence C-c C-f C-e uses invalid prefix characters
Date: Sun, 12 Jan 2003 00:53:48 +0000

Stefan Monnier wrote:
Last I heard (and that was before Dave's patches were incorporated),
PSGML did not deal well at all with the situation where the DTD is
unknown, which happens to be the standard case for me.  This is
why I spent some time improving sgml-mode.
I believe that Dave's patches do bring PSGML to the point where it
is about as good as sgml-mode when editing text without DTD, so maybe
it is now good enough to replace sgml-mode.

I must agree with Peter Flynn and question whether Emacs' default
*sgml*-mode be one that functions /a priori/ without a DTD.  It's almost
a contradiction in terms.

Maybe it's a contradiction in terms for you, but as I said, it's the standard
case for me.  The DTD exists, but I simply don't have it.

Forgive my curiosity but I'm interested to know why.

And I really mean SGML, not just XML.
The fact that sgml-mode doesn't even try to use a DTD is not a feature.
But the fact that it tries to be useful even in the absence of a DTD is.
Based on Dave's comments, I gather that psgml-mode now has a more
"graceful degradation" when the DTD is missing, so this might all
be a non-issue.

It's pretty much a non-issue now: if the DTD is unknown or absent, then
you're not editing SGML, you're editing plain text.

But I agree, a mode which allows some syntactic response to pointy
brackets is enormously useful in dealing with the typical end-user's
imaginary markup systems, which traditionally require huge amounts
of character editing of the markup to make them validate.

///Peter