[HELP] (bug?) Saving a buffer without any conversion?

From: Mario Lang
Subject: [HELP] (bug?) Saving a buffer without any conversion?
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 18:52:23 +0100

Hi there.

I'm trying to sort out a bug in erc-dcc.el since some time now and since
I'm really lost now, I thought I'd ask here, and maybe get some enlightenment:

We're receiving binary content via a network process.  After the
transfer is complete, this buffer should be saved to a file.

The effect I'm having is that we receive 1372422 bytes via the process
filter function STRING argument, and after insertion into a buffer,
we have a buffer with buffer-size 1372422, but after calling (save-buffer)
we get this:

-rw-r--r--    1 root     root      1865264 Jan 13 18:35 blah28.mp3

I'm using:

      (set-process-coding-system proc 'binary 'binary)
      (set-buffer-file-coding-system 'no-conversion t)

To set up my process/buffer.  I've tried virtually every possible combination
of 'binary, 'no-conversion, 'raw-text, 'raw-text-unix, and whatever the Elisp
manual may
have suggested :-), but I could not find any combination which
would allow me to save this buffer without Emacs doing any magic modifications
in between.  I know and love the automagic way we're getting coding-systems
converted these days, but I'd also like to know how to consistantly turn
it off for such a case.

Can anyone help?

--
CYa,