Re: Suggested enhancement: allow emacsclient to send arbitrary LISP expr

From: Theodore Ts'o
Subject: Re: Suggested enhancement: allow emacsclient to send arbitrary LISP expressions
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 16:08:36 -0500

On Thu, Jan 09, 2003 at 06:13:16PM -0500, Richard Stallman wrote:
>     Stepping back to the beginning of this thread, this is actually
>     already implemented in CVS emacs:
>
>           emacsclient --eval '(make-frame-on-display "localhost:12")'

Great!  So it sounds like I don't need to send legal papers to the
FSF, since somoene else has implemented this rather obvious idea.

> Then it would appear we have a serious security problem already,
> on some systems.
>
> I will comment out this feature; when someone makes the changes
> necessary to make it safe, we can turn it back on.

How about it making it configurable via a variable, which is nil by
default.  That way those of us who are running non-broken systems
where the permissions on unix-domain sockets are actually respected
can enjoy the functionality right away.

                                                - Ted