Re: obsolete configurations

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: obsolete configurations
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 21:33:51 +0300

> From: Francesco Potorti` <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 18:05:08 +0100
>
> The recent latest gdb release obsoleted the following configurations.
> Maybe they could also be removed from Emacs?

I'm not against considering old platforms for deprecation (and have
nothing intelligent to say about the specific platforms you listed),
but I think we should be aware of several differences between GDB and
Emacs:

  - Having a platform without a debugger is not as bad as having a
    platform without an editor.

  - A configuration is declared obsoleted for GDB when it is no longer
    actively maintained for some significant period of time, like a
    year or so.  Since platform-depend parts of GDB are significantly
    larger than in Emacs, I don't think the GDB criteria for
    deprecation would be appropriate for Emacs.