Re: Enhance word-based commands?

From: Kim F. Storm
Subject: Re: Enhance word-based commands?
Date: 17 Jan 2003 14:53:42 +0100

address@hidden (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> > You could implement an alternative set of word commands for those who
> > want them.
>
> That's what I meant by it being a user option.
>
> > I suggest giving these commands different names, and putting them in
> > a separate file as a minor mode.

That's my intention.

> I was thinking about using the nifty remap feature that Kim has
> implemented for CUA mode.  Then interactively invoking word-based
> commands would exhibit the new behavior, whereas Lisp code would
> still see the same old behavior.

I definitely think this should be a minor mode -- even if it only
remaps two commands:
  [remap kill-word]          => dynaword-kill-word
  [remap backward-kill-word] => dynaword-backward-kill-word

It can then be selectively turned on using mode hooks (or some modes
may turn it on unconditionally).

The fun thing about my "yank-function" functionality is that using
dynaword-kill-word can (silently) arrange for C-y to insert the killed
word(s) in a certain "non-trivial" way.

> But let's wait for Kim's yank-word feature.  I think it might be
> better than what I had in mind (at least for part of the
> functionality).

Let's see :-)