Re: environment variable don't get coding conversion

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: environment variable don't get coding conversion
Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:46:31 -0500

    It seems to me that elements of process-environment should
    be decoded by locale-coding-system because
    process-environment is exposed to Emacs Lisp, and there are
    codes that directly manipulate that variable.

We would have to encode them again when running a subprocess.  I think
that could have the effect of altering the values, so that they are
not passed down properly from Emacs's parent process to its children.

It might be better for user programs to decode the values
if they want to.