Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 28

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 28
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2003 15:40:04 +0300

> From: Richard Stallman <address@hidden>
> Date: Fri, 17 Jan 2003 19:48:02 -0500
>
>     ! The string argument is normally a multibyte string, except:
>     ! - if the process' input coding system is no-conversion or raw-text,
>     !   it is a unibyte string (the non-converted input), or else
>
> Is this really the right way for it to work?
> Should the choice of unibyte or multibyte string
> be tied in this way to the choice of coding system?

I think users expect this behavior when they use no-conversion or
raw-text.

> If you want multibyte strings "without decoding", would emacs-mule
> give you that?

I don't think so.  emacs-mule is for reading text that is already in
the internal Emacs representation, like auto-save files.  AFAIK,
raw-text does decode the text in the sense that 8-bit characters which
have their 8th bit set are decoded into the eight-bit-* charsets.