strange display bug when invoking M-x compile

From: Robert Anderson
Subject: strange display bug when invoking M-x compile
Date: 18 Jan 2003 20:19:02 -0800

I happened upon a very strange bug, using CVS HEAD updated as of today.
I invoked M-x compile, and after hitting return to start the (make)
process, an X-window popped up and displayed a number of red triangles.
The make process never did run.

I took a screenshot, and if anyone is really curious to see what it
looked like, I'll upload it to a web site.

After I saw it the first time, it was indefinitely repeatable after
killing the compile buffer, but once I restarted emacs I could not
repeat it.

It's not a very good bug report, but on the off chance that someone
knows what this was about...

Bob