Re: unibyte<->multibyte conversion [Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 2, Issue

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: unibyte<->multibyte conversion [Re: Emacs-diffs Digest, Vol 2, Issue 28]
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 21:09:18 +0300

> From: "Stefan Monnier" <monnier+gnu/address@hidden>
> Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 09:12:49 -0500
>
> If coders such as Eli and myself don't fully understand the semantics
> of string-as-multibyte and string-make-multibyte (and the various ways
> in which they are implicitly called), it's clear that those functions
> should basically not be used by anyone.

That is my opinion as well, FWIW.  The string conversion functions
_are_ useful, but they employ lots of ad-hoc decisions to cope with
different, sometimes conflicting, goals.  I've heard Handa-san many
times explaining what each one of the function does, but I find
myself forgetting that too soon, and need to consult the code and
conduct experiments every time I bump into them.

By constrast, encode-coding-* and decode-coding-* are very
straightforward.