Re: sh-script.el and magic numbers

From: Luc Teirlinck
Subject: Re: sh-script.el and magic numbers
Date: Wed, 22 Jan 2003 14:51:47 -0600 (CST)

I forgot a cc to emacs-devel in a previous message:

Kai Grossjohann wrote:

   I thought it would be a small change.  Hm.  I was hoping that
   something along the lines of

   (defun csh-mode ()
     "docstring"
     (interactive)
     (shell-script-mode)
     (sh-set-shell "csh"))

   would be sufficient.

Actually it does work.  I believe I again misunderstood you.  I
thought you wanted to make csh-mode and friends into genuine major
modes.  I somehow forgot to notice that you could bypass eval for any
expression whatsoever by doing (defun fake-mode () expression) and
putting -*- fake -*- in the first line of the file.  fake-mode does
not need to be a "legitimate" major or minor mode.

I still believe there is a problem.  We need one of these "fake" modes
for every interpreter currently supported to any degree and keep
adding new fake modes for every new interpreter or variation on
interpreter that would be supported in the future.  In other words,
the "fake mode" trick does not work well if you are trying to pass a
variable to a function, as we are trying to do here.

I still believe using find-file-hook is more natural.

Sincerely,

Luc.