Re: |PATCH| describe-minor-mode and describe-minor-mode-from-indicator

From: Masatake YAMATO
Subject: Re: |PATCH| describe-minor-mode and describe-minor-mode-from-indicator
Date: Fri, 24 Jan 2003 02:40:30 +0900 (JST)

    I see you added a menu for major modes and also did what I
    suggested--to add a mouse command (which you put in the menu) to
    describe a minor mode or a major mode.

    What I was thinking of was to put the "describe" command on mouse-1 or
    mouse-2 rather than to put it in the menu.

There is trade-off in two methods: just-one-click or choosing-from-menu.

If you are familiar with Emacs, you will do not hesitate to click the
mode line because you might know what happens next. You might be satisfied
with quick operation. Further more, you might think GUI menu is a toy that
make computer operation slow down.

If you are new to Emacs, you must hesitate to click somewhere
unknown/unfamiliar
place on Emacs because you don't know what happens if you click.
The mode line is one of the such place. The menu does not solve
this issue perfectly. However, the menu's VISUAL FEEDBACK will much help for the
emacs beginners.

What I implemented is targeted on emacs beginners, so I used popup menu.
Quick operation was not the my goal. How do you think?

I used mouse-3, not mouse-1 and mouse-2 because Some gtk+/gnome applicaiton uses
mouse-3 as context-menu. I expected Emacs beginners can use emacs's menu by
analogy.
Do you think we should bind all keys and mouse buttons with commands?
(Yes, in my .emacs I've tried to bind super-* and hyper-* with many
commands:-P)

BTW, is there any policy about mouse button bindings; what kind of
commands should be bound to mouse-1, what other kind of commands
should be bound to mouse-2, and what another kind of commands should
be bound to mouse-3? Binding any empty button to commands without
policy will be cause of confusions. If it is already written in info,
I have to read.

In other hand, key binding policy for C-x prefix(global) and C-c
prefix(mode specific) is understandable.

Masatake YAMATO