Re: environment variable don't get coding conversion

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: environment variable don't get coding conversion
Date: Sun, 26 Jan 2003 15:41:39 +0100

"Ehud Karni" <address@hidden> writes:

> I agree that to use non-ASCII environment variable name is not
> practical, so this problem is not really important, but the non-ASCII
> values are used a lot, and the practical way for ISO-8859-x is to
> have them in unibyte.

I guess the most important question is: which coding system is used
for values of environment variables?  Emacs already has a number of
different coding systems; it's not clear to me which one of them, if
any, is appropriate for environment variables.
process-coding-system?  file-name-coding-system?

And what happens if you do (setenv foo bar) and bar is a string which
can't be encoded in the coding system specified for environment
variables?
--
Ambibibentists unite!